Roasting in the oven saves the kitchen from fish smells. In a frying pan, fish would have to be fried in three passes; all capelin, distributed in ceramic forms, goes immediately to the oven. Fried fish literally glossy with fat, and baked capelin can be disassembled into pieces, not particularly dirty fingers. Fish flesh remains juicy, the skin becomes dried crispy "carapace". Pre-pickling and soy-lemon marinade will transform the familiar taste.
- capelin - 500 g
- flour - 1/2 tbsp.,
- salt - 1/2 tsp.,
- soy sauce - 3 tbsp. l.,
- lemon juice - 2 tbsp. l.,
- ground red pepper - 1/4 tsp,
- turmeric - 1/4 teaspoon,
- Provencal herbs - 1/2 tsp.,
- sunflower oil - 2 tbsp. l
The sequence of preparation of capelin in the oven:
1. A beautiful capelin is baked, which remains even after thawing. Crooked carcasses with torn sides during baking will completely lose their shape. Fish should be thawed at room temperature, frozen briquettes must not be exposed to hot water.
2. Thawed capelin is washed in cold water.
3. Spread capelin in layers. Soy sauce is mixed with hot red pepper and turmeric, and sauce each layer of fish with sauce.
4. Spray capelin with squeezed lemon juice. Leave the fish to marinate for two to three hours. A bowl of capelin is put in the refrigerator.
5. Pickled capelin spread on a plate and lightly greased with vegetable oil. You can refuse the oil, but then the baked fish will be dry. Soy sauce made salted capelin. If you like the average salinity, you can evenly distribute half a teaspoon of salt across all the carcasses. Then the fish is sprinkled with ground provencal herbs.
6. Each carcass on both sides is rolled in flour.
7. Small fish is best baked in thick-walled ceramic forms. Forms are lubricated with vegetable oil, capelin is laid out in rows. The fish should be placed so that the carcasses only touch, but do not overlap each other. Then the whole capelin is baked evenly.
8. The oven is heated to 180-190 degrees. Put the form with fish for 25-30 minutes. There are baking options at higher temperatures and less time. But prolonged baking at a moderate temperature will not lead to overcooking and cracking of carcasses. The appearance of the fish signals its readiness: the sides are browned, which means it's time to get out of the oven.
9. Baked capelin served hot. You can do without a side dish, replacing it with sliced fresh vegetables. Capelin will be especially tasty if served with salad and fresh tomatoes.
10. Cooled capelin does not need to be reheated. In a cold dish, the results of soy-lemon pickling are better felt.
11. Baked fish is considered very healthy. If you do not want to force guests to sort out small fish and take out bones, you can make delicious sandwiches. Soft cream cheese is spread on slices of rye bread, and flattened baked carcasses, freed from heads, entrails and bones, are placed on top.
12. Beer lovers will like cold pickled and baked capelin; it goes well with the dark varieties of this drink.