An interesting and inexpensive project for your beloved. Believe me, if she likes to take a bath, then she will like this gift very much.
To be able to use this shelf normally, it must be of suitable size. Therefore, we take in hand a measuring tape, pencil and paper. Now sit in the bathroom and determine the most convenient range for the location of the shelf, and measure the widest place between the edges of the bath. Imagine that you want to take a glass of wine or beer (in my case) from a shelf, thus defining a place that is easiest to reach and where the contents of the shelf will not be accidentally dumped.
Materials and Tools
If the distance between the side edges of the bath is already known, add another 5 cm to it. This will be the length of the shelf. The width of my shelf was 60 cm, I think that this size will suit you. Thickness - 2 cm.
For this application, oak or cedar boards are suitable (I used red oak). Or any other moisture resistant lumber.
- 2.5 cm and 5 cm wood screws.
- Wood impregnation of your choice (I used stain and oil).
- Nitro enamel at your discretion (I chose a transparent gloss).
- A circular saw or a cutting machine with a table.
- Grinder with abrasive nozzle P220.
- Sandpaper sheet P220.
- Drill and drill.
Impregnation trimming and processing
1. Cut the bars of the same size. I made them with a square section with sides of 2 cm. At this stage, do not rush. If you have a pusher or comb clamp, use them.
2. To make all bars of the same length they can be cut at the same time.
It is best to use a delimiter for this task. Measure once and cut off all the others by this measurement.
3. Grinding, grinding and grinding again.
4. Assemble all the parts together and apply a layer of the chosen impregnation on them. Now it will be made easier, unlike the assembled shelf.
5. After finishing with the impregnation, you can open the bars with varnish. The main thing is that the entire surface of the tree is covered.
There is some difficulty here.
- Drill and drill.
- 2.5 mm screws.
- Whetstone for alignment of gaps.
1. For fixing, you can use glue for wood or parquet nails (before varnishing). I did not do this because then I did not have these tools.
In any case, assemble all the parts in a shelf. If you use screws, then you can do this according to the following scheme.
First make the extreme parts of the shelf, then the middle, and then you need to connect them.
2. Align the cross-beam on one side, fix the block for leveling and the cross-beam using a clamp.
3. Make a preliminary hole for the screw and a recess thicker in which its head will be hidden. After this, you can begin to screw the transverse bar into place.
4. We perform the same actions with the rest of the bars.
5. Now you need to cover the screw heads with putty on wood. To fix, open everything with varnish.
Note: I did not do this and I did not form any rust. Although a woman uses this shelf in the bathroom all the time.
Congratulations. You have done everything. You did it. Now grab your favorite drink and go to the test bathroom. Present a shelf to your beloved now or hold on St. Valentine's Day Valentine The choice is yours. I hope you enjoyed it.
Original article in English