When decorating bathrooms, ceramic tiles are most often used. It is ideal for rooms with high humidity.
Consider the progress of laying tiles in the bathroom.
Measure the area of the place you will decorate with tiles.
We buy tiles with a margin of at least 5% for marriage and scraps. When choosing, we take into account the installation method.
Types of tile laying
There are several types of styling:
- - Laying straight - very simple.
- - Laying is diagonal - a rather complicated way of finishing with tiles, it requires certain skills, it masks well the curved walls and gives an effective look, suitable for square rooms.
- - Laying with a chessboard is a classic way of decorating rooms, 2 colors of tiles are used.
- - Stacking with offset. We lay the tile relative to the previous row with an offset. A good solution for rectangular rooms.
- - Tiled mosaic is a very painstaking work, it is better to trust the masters.
Next, we recommend using a pencil and a ruler to apply the location of the tile to the surface.
Try to avoid narrow stripes of tiles at the joints, in the corners.
Prepare the following tools and building material in advance.
- Ceramic tile adhesive
- Grout for joints
- Mixing container and drill with suitable mixing nozzle.
- Tile spatula
- Sponge or rag to remove excess glue
- Tile cutter
- To grind the edges you need a corundum block.
- Plastic crosses for forming a tile seam.
We prepare the walls for work
We remove the coating from the work surface, remove dust and check the walls with a level. Most likely they will be uneven, then proceed to align the walls. In no case do we forget about the primer, its important function, filling the floor and improving the adhesion of glue to the wall. For bathrooms it is better to choose a moisture-resistant primer.
Some tips for self-laying tiles:
- Control the evenness of the rows vertically and horizontally.
- On dry lay the bottom row of tiles. This will help you choose the right type of styling. If there is a gap of less than 25 mm after installation, it is better to choose a different installation method.
- It is always easier to trim the first tile in a row. It is much more difficult to fit the tile to the width of the gap.
- Mark on the wall where the first and last tile of the row.
- Mark the vertical rows with a plumb line. Make sure there are no deviations.
- It’s easier to lay tiles in small areas.
- Use the level to constantly check the evenness of the rows.
- Use crosses to lay tiles, this will help to form even seams.
- Apply glue to the wall, not to the tile.
- The glue which has got out outside needs to be removed with a sponge, if it had time to dry use a plastic or wooden spatula.
- Use tile tongs if you need to get around an obstacle, such as a pipe.
- Check for even seams with a rubber trowel.
- The grout dries quickly, so you can wash the tile immediately after work.