It’s a pity that this little sea fish is undeservedly ignored, and in fact it surpasses meat in the content of vitamin B and selenium. It is very rich in iodine, fluorine, calcium and sodium, and also, like all marine wild fish, it is rich in omega-3 fats. We recommend including capelin in your diet if you want to regulate the thyroid gland, the cardiovascular system, avoid hypertension and increase blood cholesterol. In addition, spicy salted capelin - it's just delicious! With mashed potatoes or with boiled jacket potatoes in their skins, with a slice of brown bread and onion, as an appetizer or salad. In order to try all this, you definitely need to find out how to simply and quickly salt capelin at home!
- - fresh-frozen capelin - 0.5 kg;
- - water - 150 ml;
- - salt - 1.5 tsp;
- - coriander grains - 1 tsp;
- - bay leaf - 2 pcs.;
- - cloves - 3 buds;
- - allspice - 5-10 pcs.
Cooking time: 12 h. Servings: 3 pcs.
1. Thaw capelin at a temperature of 18-20 or in the refrigerator on the lower shelf if you are going to salting in the hot summer. Then rinse the thawed capelin well, inspect so that the whole fish has a proper appearance. While the capelin is thawing - prepare salt and spices. It is not necessary to clean the fish from the insides; it will salted unbroken.
2. When all excess water drains - you can put the capelin in a container suitable for salting.
3. Prepare a pickling mixture of salt and spices crushed in a mortar (grind everything except bay leaf).
4. Generously sprinkle capelin on top with salting mix, then mix by hand so that the spicy mix gets onto the fish from all sides.
5. Pour capelin with water at room temperature (filtered or chilled boiled) and put bay leaf in brine. If the water level does not completely cover the capelin, you can put a small dish on top to lightly crush the fish with a light weight. We cover the container with a lid and leave the capelin to salt for 12 hours in the room or all night. After the specified time or in the morning we move the container with the finished spicy salted capelin in the refrigerator.
Now you can clean the fish, it is not so fragile anymore, it becomes more elastic after spilling, and therefore it can be easily cut into fillets - the bones and peel leave well and you get beautiful pieces for canapes or sandwiches. Spicy salted capelin ready!